dimanche, avril 16, 2006

The Gadgetry: My Foldout Rattan Table

Believe it or not, I've gotten sneers a plenty for this table.

Why? It's not a typical dining room table. A couple of ex-boyfriends thought it was cheesy or unrefined. That it looked collegiate. Ah ye's of such petite faith. Just for that, I wouldn't show them how cool it really was.

But it's cool. You're about to see why.
Boo-yaaaa....

The underside has a stamp, "Inspected, April 1, 1950". This table was in my friend's parents cottage in Pickerel for 20 years. Before they sold the place, I begged for the table. The leaf was detached and had been sitting in a closet, but with a little putty, hidden hinges, and some ingenuity, my friend and I got it back together and operating again.

It's not Pottery Barn, but it is amazing and in beautiful shape. The curious have gotten a glimpse of something altogether different than they were expecting :)

14 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

It's not Pottery Barn, but it is amazing and in beautiful shape. The curious have gotten a glimpse of something altogether different than they were expecting.

And the price was right.

Look at it this way: that table has held up since 1950. I'm afraid to touch the stuff I bought for my dining room because it's so fragile.

11:44 PM, avril 16, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

That's right!

Just like Undercover Brother said..

"Solid!"

8:26 AM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

Excellent I have an old shot gun from 1929 that I feel that way about. Its old, heavy and just beautiful.

"Sometimes the old ways are the best ways"

9:23 AM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Chris, how did you come across it? Have you been able to use it? That would be a cool post!

10:09 AM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger mavprops said...

Yeah, I remember moving that damned table.

11:52 AM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger David Casper said...

Sweet. It's like a Transformer, save for the robot part.

12:13 PM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

And save the cool sound effects.

Mav, "you wooosh you had this table!"

2:09 PM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger mavprops said...

you woooooosh you could be like me.

2:50 PM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Alright you're asking for it, you have to remember, I'm older than you:

"Gimme the damn ball!"

2:56 PM, avril 17, 2006  
Blogger mavprops said...

it's "just throw me the damn ball," to quote keyshawn johnson..

2:35 AM, avril 18, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Son of a!

jk.

(we're siblings, y'all)

6:23 AM, avril 18, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

actually your right PJ it would be a good post when the Gruppenfuhrer gets back from Europe with my digital camara I will do a post about it. cool I now have an idea person(which is cool) to go along with the 1000 liberal proof readers(which isnt cool) I have at my blog lol ;)

7:42 PM, avril 18, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

You should! Prized posessions should be shown off.

If the GF is still in Paris, see if she has time to pick up some Leonidas chocolates for you (Rive Gauche or Rue Montmartre). Or le Roi des boissons: Absinthe!

8:02 PM, avril 18, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

yes like my fat ass needs more chocolate even really good stuff right after having easter lol ;)

12:37 PM, avril 20, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home