jeudi, juin 22, 2006

Doing The Right Thing

Nice.

Many years ago, when I was like, ten...I remember being particularly interested in the Bembenek case. I have no idea why, because I had a hard time focusing on things like class, news, mass, things like that.

It's fascinating really. The Bembenek case is essentially part of Wisconsin culture and history. Many murders have taken place since then, but few are as recognizable and memorable. Psychopathic and serial murderers aside.

But now two former state crime lab officials have been deposed and are on record stating that evidence was withheld. I'm not saying I told you so, but I'm not surprised. I remember being in my early teens and a relative telling me that they worked with people who were married to some of the cops. It was a big setup/coverup. In this person's words, "everyone knows she didn't do it".

There are many things about life that are really disappointing. The perception of fairness and lack thereof happens to be one of them. And seeing a powerful faction hang together for a purpose is really frustrating... sometimes I hope that people's conscience or cognitive dissonance will kick in, but it's always too late when it does.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I am a believer in the idea that it's Never Too Late. That's the story of my life, really. But when your whole life has involved professing your innocence (not always using the right methods or approaches either, I might add), that simply has to be exhausting. At what point do you give up, at what point do you, or can you, let go? Especially if your perceptions have become out of proportion around an event like that?

Which reminds me. The next time I think life is hard or the head gasket is too expensive or that my knee hurts or whatever, just pop me upside the head.