lundi, juillet 31, 2006

An Issue of Transience

I had some problems this weekend.

Truthfully, I've had some problems for a while. And I think that what I see is minimal to what others have to put up with.

I'm helping a member of my family prepare their house for sale. I don't live very far from them, and as most readers know, I grew up in a truly diverse neighborhood and moved back here three years ago. But something is changing.

The issue is transience. It's also a problem of societal standards.

There were three situations I experienced this weekend, but all were along the same lines of what I experienced last night.

Driving back from this family member's house down a busy street, when I saw that there was a group of about 15 youths hanging out in the middle of the street on bicycles.

Just sitt'n there. Hanging out. Busy street. I pull up and I have a somewhat sporty vehicle that makes a little bit of noise at high RPMs. Did they move because you know, a car is coming? Nope. They just looked at me along the lines of "don't even think about asking us to move". So I pause, and have to drive into the oncoming lane of traffic to get around them.

Well, about four blocks later I turn down my street. I'm on the phone to the cops by this time. That's just crap. Suddenly there is a ton of racket out on my normally quiet street. Loud. This large group is tracking down my street, all standing up on their pedals and looking into the yards. Yep, of course they saw me.

Y'all, I'm all for the loitering ordinance now.

Especially after I called my landlord and told him about the three situations I've experienced lately, thinking that it's time to move. He is in law enforcement in another city nearby. A place you wouldn't expect problems. He said, "Phel, I understand that this made you feel unsafe, but you need to understand that it's a problem throughout this area. Even in (city) we have problems with large groups of kids. A few years ago we could say 'move along, guys' and they would do it. Now, they tell us where to go'".

I said, "well....how do you deal with them then?"

He said "by force". They simply have to have enough officers present. It's the only thing these large groups of kids understand.

So really, what's next here? Has anyone experienced this? It reminds me of earlier this spring when residents of my neighborhood were chased down the street while they were driving - minding their own business.

Is this an issue of loitering? What will it require to deal with it? We can't allow people not to freely associate, but we can't allow people to behave like roaming packs.

One thing my landlord made very, very clear to me was that nobody should take on a situation like that alone. I agree.

12 Comments:

Blogger Huck said...

Once you move here, you'll never want to leave 53186.

7:46 PM, juillet 31, 2006  
Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Mike, the 'Sha? Come on. Realy.

It depends. I think that I could take a couple of really good guesses as to where you live.

I personally have lived on the EastSide for 6 years now, and have experienced very few problems. More specifically, on the 2700 block of Downer Ave. with no problems for a year and a half.

It doesn't really help that you are:

A. A woman

B. Attractive

C. You drive a "flash" car

and

D. You live in this particular neighborhood that even your landlord considers "problematic"

Move further west, further east(don't fall into the lake), or down to Bay View. The other option is to stay put and acquire a .357. Dad29 can refer you to a great gun shop and probably give you advice on models/shooting I am sure.

Unfortunately, most parents are afraid to discipline their children nowadays. Rephrase, they don't care to discipline them. And your landlord is right, they don't respect/listen to their elders. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

P.S. Pewaukee has some really nice and inexpensive condos... Check 'em out.

8:26 PM, juillet 31, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

DCS, actually my landlord didn't see it as much of a problem and in fact, said that once school is back in session it should quiet down. I mean I kind of agree, but there are other things that aren't good that I've never seen there before. I'm the only unarmed member of our family and I'm probably the best shot out of all of them, but still, I shouldn't *have* to be armed in my own home, don't you think???

The landlord has a place slightly west that has been somewhat offered...I'd like to stay with him because he's trustworthy.

East side... I don't know, I think it's different if you're a man. Sliver can speak to this a little better, women get followed around a lot. It's hard to explain how that makes a woman feel, especially because it's hard to articulate that feeling to men, who generally don't feel that same amount of "threat" that we do.

And yes, I agree well with your societal observations...as I said I've grown up in a diverse environment but this is different now...

Oh and ps, I have plenty of country mouse in me...but I will *always* be a city mouse!

8:35 PM, juillet 31, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

move west young lady move west if not get a handgun and take the time to learn how to use it.

10:11 PM, juillet 31, 2006  
Blogger Kate said...

Luckily, in smaller towns some distance away from the "big city", we don't have as much of a problem with this sort of thing, although we have a few incidents. Skate boarding down the middle of the street, at night, dressed in black. I honestly think kids are getting more stupid, more beligerent, and just plain don't have the sense G-d gave cheese.

Get the gun! :)

11:37 PM, juillet 31, 2006  
Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

I have never seen women on the EastSide being "followed" by men and have better things to do with my precious free time than to follow women around whom I don't know.

And yes, I do think that you should have a gun in your house, just in case...

1:42 PM, août 01, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

You wouldn't "see" it per se. Sliver can speak to this as well, people who do this know what and how to.

1:58 PM, août 01, 2006  
Blogger mavprops said...

we never had that problem when we lived in tosa. there was also a gun in the house too.

6:39 AM, août 02, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

I have it on good authority that it's happening there too. Esp. at the mall. All that cash they're pouring into Mayfair and who's going to go if they feel threatened?

I already don't go after certain hours on the weekends and definitely not on weekdays. It's just not worth it to me.

Mav, ya know, Chris and DCS are totally on the same page as you - it might be time.

8:49 AM, août 02, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

in your house MAYBE????? WTF is that all about once again once they are in the house what do you intend to do call the fraking UN?

They had their choice before they broke in Choose life or enter my home uninvited.

These are not "kids" how many of the mob beatings in milwaukee have been done by groups of these little thugs.

There are very few limits to self defense

Get the gun PJ then learn how to use it practice until your good at it just like you would with anything else.

The life you save just may be your own .

being careful is good but even that isnt always enough

Move West young lady move west or north yes the commute can suck but living in a area where you can forget to lock your car or close your garage door and still find all your stuff there in the morning has its own rewards.

and the offer still stands when ever you are ready PJ

11:30 PM, août 02, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

I think I would be happy just about anywhere to be honest. The city is my home though and I don't think that I should have to go anywhere, and I think that other people should have to obey the same laws that I do, conduct themselves in a civil manner, and respect simple societal norms. You know, letting people pass, not littering and yelling back at the people who tell you not to litter, not screaming threats at people simply for driving past them, you know, really simple stuff.

When did that become too much to ask?

And as long as guns are legal, damn straight I support having one in your own home. It's not a matter of being pro-gun or anti-gun: it has nothing to do with political preferences and everything to do with the laws of behavior - which is that criminals carry guns and are unafraid to use any force necessary. That's reality and thinking it can be legislated or loved away is simply foolish.

I think I have every right to be where I am. Criminals don't have the right to be criminals.

1:42 PM, août 03, 2006  
Blogger Dad29 said...

Umnnnhhh...

The end-of-the-world scenario envisioned by cjjarch is not likely.

I've had a handgun (or two) handy at all times during the last several years--for MANY of which I was regularly in a sketchy neighborhood on a regular basis.

Never even had to THINK about using the weapon. Never. At the same time, it's there if needed.

As to "use it or lose it to the Bad Guys": not likely. The stats are clear: just pulling the gun out settles over 95% of the problems. Goblins tend to run away.

On the other hand, pulling a gun DOES escalate the level of conflict. Make sure you have your "6" covered, or are against a wall...

7:41 AM, août 05, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home