dimanche, juillet 23, 2006

Union Pacific Challenger

I heart 3985!

Oh to be in Denver or Cheyenne this weekend. Or anywhere in between. Anywhere I could pace or see a runby of the UP Challenger, the largest, in-service steam locomotive. The 3985 is the last in-service Challenger among us.

This lovely lady saw her day from about 1943-1950, when she ran among the largest, the UP 4000 series, also called the "Big Boy". None of the 4000's are still in service, which makes me sad. (Note: we DO actually have one in Green Bay, WI at the National Railroad Museum)

So this weekend is an excursion of the Challenger between Denver and Cheyenne. The UP runs an excursion nearly every year in parts of the country that can still handle a steam locomotive of this size and weight. Most tracks cannot handle large steam locomotives anymore. Take a look at the footage I've collected and you'll see why :)

I've never had the opportunity to see it in person, but I have seen other large locomotives in action. Don't miss the opportunity to see one, or to take your children to see a runby. There is nothing quite as majestic or ginormous :)






3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I have seen the one up in Green Bay, It is amazing how big it is.

7:20 PM, juillet 23, 2006  
Blogger Sean Hackbarth said...

Who knew you were a train geek?

1:24 AM, juillet 25, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Something for me to include the next time one of those "20 things about me" surveys goes around....

Yes, I am a terrible train geek.

7:07 PM, juillet 25, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home