samedi, août 05, 2006

Feeling Jipped

There's no mistake that you're born when you're born. And lots of people say they feel like they're living in the wrong time. That's well and good, but for me more than anything, I feel jipped.

And a lot of people in other times may have said, gee, why couldn't I have been born in the future...when people can communicate instantaneously... take their music with them... have cars that do all sorts of things... or can make transatlantic flights.

Soldiers may have said, I wish we could know where the enemy is. If we could only get high powered photos, we might have an edge.

But if you're a regular here, you well know that I have an affection for other times. When things were simple and you could live life a little more. You weren't taxed to death, populations were smaller, people talked to each other and looked at each other.

And then there's me. Perhaps what draws me to these times more than anything is the sense of beauty. The completeness in the way people presented themselves: hats, gloves, jackets, shined shoes, and of course, the glamor and sense of the demure.

When people visit my house, I guess they're surprised by the presentation: the old, the new, the tangible, and of course, the pinup girls. They aren't everywhere, but they are there, and they are beautiful.

I was a pinup girl for halloween last year and I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who approached me to ask "how did you..." It's sad that those simple things are a thing of the past.

In fact, one man approached me and said I should be painted on the side of a B-52 bomber. I think that's the neatest compliment I've ever recieved.

So I don't think it's any mistake that these images of the golden era have perservered. The attraction is similar for both men and women: men appreciating the simple, true femininity that is not only beautiful but truly alluring. And for women, I think it's the same. The beauty and glamor are more organic and in a sense, powerful. Nothing needs to be over the top, and it's not necessary to be overly exposed to be sexy. More is left to the imagination and if anything, men want to know more.

Below you'll find some of my favorite pinup galleries. Enjoy them, download them, share them, or just simply appreciate them!

Billy DeVorss - Extraordinary lighting, soft images
The Bill Underwood collection
Earl Moran - My personal favorite
Pearl Frush - One of the few female artists
Harry Ekman - 50s glamor
And of course, Al Buell

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I always thought I was born in the wrong decade m'self. I've always been drawn to the 30's and 40's. The styles the ladies worse, even when wearing pants, were so....well, ladylike. When my hair was MUCH longer, I use to try make it do that roll thing, but it never worked. It's too thin I guess. :( And the music!! LOVE it! Unfortunately, I remember most of the 50's, but it wasn't so bad, other than my mom's hair style. :) And that stupid perm she gave me when I was 4. Jeez louise, I looked like a clown!

10:14 PM, août 05, 2006  
Blogger dana michelle said...

I've always felt that I was born in the wrong decade (right at the tail end of the 50's). My parents came of age in the 40's. The clothes, the music, the dancing, the cars, the movies, the patriotism. I love the 40's. *sigh*

Now I know I've glamorized it. My parents also lived through the depression; my dad served in World War II; they saw a lot of adversity in their lives. But there is still something about that period on our country's history.

When I was younger, I went through a vintage phase, although never so completely or with so much panache as you. My outer conformist eventually squelched my inner bohemian. I still have my mouton lamb coats and Woolrich jackets, though :)

Really enjoy your blog, in large part because of your love of all things vintage, but also as a fellow Milwaukeean and a political conservative.

And from your description of the area, I'm pretty sure my church is in your neighborhood.

I love the homes in that neighborhood.

12:48 PM, août 06, 2006  
Blogger Nick said...

You got me beat on compliments by far... (and he was right by the way)...

The best I can say is that I was told by someone that I looked like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. *sigh*

1:17 PM, août 06, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

I am a gin drinking flapper of the roaring 20's at heart.

While the dresses and anticts of the flappers are modest by today's standards, in the 20's they were seen as scandalous.

I can't help but womder if the same holds true for the fabulous pin up girls?

Note to Nick- Cameron was the hot guy in Ferris Bueller's Day Off so be proud (ladies just go along with me on this one).

6:42 PM, août 06, 2006  
Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Well, you are in luck. I happen to know this guy, his name is Dr. Emmitt Brown. One night, he slipped and hit his head on the toilet and came up with the idea for the Flux Capacitor. You see, the Flux Capacitor is what makes time travel possible. He has now installed it in his Delorian, and if we reach 88 mph, we can go back in time to any year you want. Now only if I could get some plutonium from the Libyans.

8:25 PM, août 07, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

Now your talkin!

12:51 PM, août 08, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home