samedi, septembre 30, 2006

Fall Outing at McMiller's

I was invited to a very lovely affair today. This morning I rolled my ass out of bed and drove out to Eagle for the mornin-o-shooting at McMiller's, courtesy of Chris from Spotted Horse.

It was a very therapeutic end to a long week. A beautiful drive through the countryside, getting lost once (darned NN), and the sound of report after report knowing that it wasn't on a city street. In attendance when I arrived were Chris and Steve, and we were joined shortly after by Neo-Con*Tastic.

A few things I learned today:

Chris is extremely knowledgeable and respectful of firearms, the safety precautions necessary, and the practical usage, of course.

Steve has the best laugh, ever. And for a quiet fella, sure can express jubilation after firing.

NeoCon smells great.

Okay so that's not really all I learned today, but it's a good place to start. Chris and I were talking as we went to the target to tape it over, and he made some really good points: most people don't know what they're talking about when they start harping on the "evils" of gun ownership. They don't know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic. Or a rifle from a hole in the ground. I wouldn't want to look down either, by the way.

It's been almost 16 years since the last time I shot a gun. At the time I'd shot a 38 and a Beretta. Hated the 38, loved the Beretta, and when I shot it, I was surprised at the results. I thought it was a fluke.

But I did rather decent today. Chris has more details about all the guns we shot, but my favorite was the 30-06. This is a powerful gun, capable of a very precise shot. However, like most of the shots I've ever done, one must also pace oneself. What surprised me was how worn out you can get by shooting a gun. By the end of the session, I was pretty tired. And I needed to eat.

The first shot I took with the 30-06 is something I'll never, ever forget. I had never used a scope before and being able to look through the crosshairs and choose a spot on the target was in a word, beautiful. My heart wasn't racing, but it was pounding. The intensity that I could focus at that moment surprised me. And uh, those things can sure hop. And as you'll see here, send a jolt or two down into your elbow. I might have to open up the old sewing machine and make a pink satin elbow cushion.

Many, many, many thanks to Chris, Steve and Neo for allowing me to try their guns, and for instructing me. It was a simply lovely affair.

22 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Sounds like it was fun, but ya gotta remember that the '06 will jump up and bite you, as you learned the hard way :-)

5:43 PM, septembre 30, 2006  
Blogger steveegg said...

Can't claim any of the firearms; they were all Chris' and Neo-Con's.

I'm torn between the .40 and .45 myself.

5:49 PM, septembre 30, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

I am just glad you enjoyed yourself

I will post some more pics tonight of PJ shooting the 30-06 and the Assault Rifle

she did very well for her first time with long rifles. She shot a pattern with the 06 then adjusted and scored a nice pattern dead on in the bullseye. I will post more later tonight.

6:21 PM, septembre 30, 2006  
Blogger Kate said...

Nasty ouchie! At least there were no broken bones or blood gushin'.... Dr. Kate sez yer gonna be ok! :)

Sounds like y'all had a good time. :)

8:25 PM, septembre 30, 2006  
Blogger Patrick said...

Steve, if you want to shoot the bad guy a dozen times, go with the .40, if you want to knock him on his @ss with the first shot, go with the .45

10:05 PM, septembre 30, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

well it that is the way you want to be Patrick I will see your .45 and raise you a.44mag lol now lets talk about knocking him on his ass with one shot ;P

7:49 AM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger realdebate said...

Neocons with guns...

I'm all tingly...

What'd ya' use as targets? Doyle Lawton signs?

8:56 AM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger Patrick said...

Now the .44Mag wasn't an option, I wouldn't want to be hit with either. Both are far superior to the .40 in terms of power IMO. The great thing about the .44Mag is it combines a large heavy chunk of lead with a high muzzle velocity, so you have greater penetration. But there is no doubt that the impact of a .45ACP, even traveling at only 860fps has the weight to give plenty of penetration.

My choice is still the .45 if someone is in my house in the middle of the night. Then again, there is nothing more intimidating than being in a dark room and hearing me racking a 3" magnum into my Mossberg 500 (a 12 Ga. pump action shotgun).

I assume Steve is leaning towards the .40 and .45 because he prefers a semi-auto over a revolver. We all have our preferences :-)

9:22 AM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger steveegg said...

The scope sort of turned me off to the .44 because I couldn't find the focal point on it. The double action is just a bit too "safe" when it comes to defense as well (though it is very handy at the range). I did close out with a pretty good grouping with it, however.

10:39 AM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger steveegg said...

Fred, it was basically just a quick trip up 20 for you. I assume we'll see you next time (Dad29 is talking about a winter shoot, no doubt to properly unwrap a few Chrismas presents).

10:41 AM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

This is her best friends writing.

A'hem ...gentlemen was it really neccessary to start the lady out with guns that ended up bruising her skin?

5:12 PM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

we did start her out on a little gun she worked her way up to that one couldnt stop her have you seen the pictures of PJ at my sight she looks like she is having a good time lol

7:58 PM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

That's Phel for you. I am sad that I missed out on it all.

Next time that you are willing to give lessons count me in. :)

8:16 PM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger Neo-Con Tastic said...

I must say it was a fantastic time. I enjoyed it greatly.

And to clear the water about the .45 that Steve was shooting. It was a Springfield V-16 Longslide ACP/Super, 230 grain. As mentioned, the barrel is ported to alleviate the kick. It's a fantastic defense weapon and you don't really feel it under the pillow.

8:38 PM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

sniff

9:25 PM, octobre 01, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

Oh lord woman stop sniffing the cute boy.

10:13 AM, octobre 02, 2006  
Blogger realdebate said...

Hey if ya'll don't mind me shootin your guns, I'll come.

Never owned a gun, most likely never will.

10:18 AM, octobre 02, 2006  
Blogger steveegg said...

Mr. Tastic - sold, at least as long as it doesn't break the budget.

Fred - That's about half the point; getting those of us who haven't shot in a while shooting.

1:44 PM, octobre 02, 2006  
Blogger Kate said...

I mentioned this "event" to my husband yesterday... he's annoyed I didn't tell him about it earlier. He would have gone... he has some nice "toys" he wants to try out. :) But I wouldn't count on him showing up at a winter shoot... he doesn't like the cold any more than I do! LOL

6:09 PM, octobre 02, 2006  
Blogger still Unreal... said...

i'd like to second RDW...

12:48 PM, octobre 03, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

Let me see what I can do the it might have to wait till spring for long rifles McMillers gets nuts now with hunter dialing in their rifles but as was suggested by Tastic a winter shoot could be pistols INDOORS at a place like flectchers arms or the shooters shop in West allies

Then have another long gun orama at McMillers in the Spring.

I am kicking myself for not pimping this event more wont make that mistake next time.

10:19 PM, octobre 03, 2006  
Blogger still Unreal... said...

hey, chris...uh..
how 'bout bow?
that i've owned. would love to try again..
just an idea.

9:39 AM, octobre 05, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home