jeudi, septembre 07, 2006

I still don't know if I want to comment about this

Like most of you, I about hit the roof when I heard about the 11 year-old girl who was sexually assaulted. I can tell you a lot of reciprocal justice ideas.

Besides the obvious, do you want to know why?

Because not one of these dregs will see one day of prison, and if they do, they won't actually see Punishment. Prison is a badge of honor for these pieces of shit. The only person who will serve a life sentence is this little girl.

And right now she has a lot of prayers and support coming her way. That will last about two weeks. But she will need help the rest of her life. It's possible she'll find a way to block it out but it'll be difficult to know what her quality of life will be.

It's not the same as having an injury when you're a toddler and you'll recuperate quickly. This little girl's entire perception of sex may be destroyed forever. When someone she eventually loves tries to show affection, she'll recoil. What kind of life does that sound like?

Sounds pretty bad, doesn't it?

One in four women is sexually assaulted or worse, abused by the time she is 18 years old.

Tonight I heard someone on the news say "yes, and it happens all the time" as if yep, the sun's going to come up in the morning. That attitude alone can not be condoned or stated as fact. It doesn't happen "all the time" and to say that does condone the behavior. Don't believe me? Look at our statistics. The more we have stories of predators on the air makes predators think they have a little brotherhood. It normalizes it.

We need to punish sex offenders severely. Prison isn't it. I don't know what is, but I could offer a lot of suggestions. And I'll help.

One being that they never see the light of day. Ever. I'll stop there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

I'm all for the death penalty in sexual assault crimes.

The old canard, that it would cause perps to kill their victims in order to cover the crime that they'd get the same ultimate penalty for is just that - BS.

These folks don't think they'll ever get caught, let alone tried or convicted.

I know vigilantiism is a poor solution. But in cases like this, I'd be hard-pressed to see it as worse than the alternative.

As I mentioned at Patrick's, we'll all end up paying for these scum to have a lifetime of AIDS treatment.

1:05 PM, septembre 08, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

Excellent post Phelony!

6:14 PM, septembre 08, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home