vendredi, septembre 08, 2006

September 12th

Tonight I had a really terrific opportunity - to attend the fundraiser for J.B. Van Hollen, with guest Tommy Thompson. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but I was thrilled to be able to attend. It was nice to see Owen, Pugnacious J, Fraley, and Jenna. I hadn't met Jenna before this, and she is good people.

When JB had the mic, what struck me about him is the very stark difference between his natural persona and that of his TV commercials. It's an incredible shame that potential voters are missing out on his warmth, passion, and aggressiveness. And I think that JB has the right balance between the assertive and aggressive to be effective, and for me, his priorities are spot on.

The other thing that is missing from his on air style - and I'm not exactly sure if this can be captured - is that from the perspective of politics, he's closer to the younger conservative mindframe. One of my biggest complaints which I'm sure most conservatives share is politicians that miss the mark. At the Kleefisch event one of my remarks to Robin Vos and Mike Huebesch was that there is no fire in the belly. I'm glad they can get along with the boys in Madison, but they don't really represent me or what the new young conservative wants and values. I want that.

I just want people who are smart and aren't afraid to fight.

Especially where enforcing the law is concerned. I hope we can get the right person in there to make this happen.

To date I've never had the opportunity to see Tommy Thompson in person. I'm glad to say, he's still Tommy. For some reason I equate the same familiarity to him as Bart Starr, not sure why, but I do. And for the record, Bart Starr is just about the kindest person I've ever met.

It was good to see Dennis Krueger again, his wife is a total star by the way. I was hoping to see her at the event. Dennis wants the job, and he's working for it the old fashioned way. From what I understand he's knocked on more than 7,000 doors. How many of us have that tenacity or energy, or commitment. I wish Dennis the best of luck on Tuesday.

For those of you who do and don't know me, I'm still hacking away at that working-the-crowd thing. I can do this in business, and globally, but politics is an entirely different animal. I should be touting the fact that I'm a blogger but I don't, because there's a lot more to me. So yeah, that's my homework.

And to catch up on some sleep.

A generous hat tip to Fraley, I appreciated being able to attend this.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Isn't Dennis Krueger's wife awesome? She should run for something. She rocks.

Wish I could have been there tonight...

11:08 PM, septembre 08, 2006  
Blogger Josh Schroeder said...

Wels I'm not sure about that, Wendy. ;-)

1:13 AM, septembre 09, 2006  
Blogger Nick said...

Wow girl... you're really becoming a mover and shaker.

11:26 AM, septembre 09, 2006  
Blogger Owen said...

DK...

Did she day "yes?"

11:36 AM, septembre 09, 2006  
Blogger J said...

Whoa...get a room, you two. ;)

Phel, it was great to finally meet you!

4:57 PM, septembre 09, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

You guys all rock. Glad to have you here.

9:24 PM, septembre 10, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home