vendredi, septembre 15, 2006

They'd Get Their Asses Sued

...if any employer made the statement that they wouldn't hire someone based on their BMI or waist-to-hip ratio. Or if women exceeded a size 7. So why is it any different when models are discriminated against when they are "too thin" or a size zero? This is extending beyond Madrid to other countries within Europe. It's blacklisting models. For those of you in Rio Linda, preventing an entire population from their right to work because of their physical stature is criminal.

Fat people have the right to be fat. Slightly plump isn't regulated. Normal proportion isn't regulated. Why can't people who choose the profession of modeling be free to be thin. Last time I checked, thin is not a crime. It's legislating weight. It's telling an industry what to do with their fashion lines and how they can display it.

And, it's telling people how they have to BE if they want to work. Do you want anyone telling you how to exist?

This is about trying to make people feel better. People aren't perfect, and most people don't have supermodel expectations. If you have half a whit you'll know the difference between presentation and reality. I'll say it: You stupid people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Oh, I dunno... I've seen a few skinny females I'd like to smack a few times...just on general principle... does that count? :)

11:00 PM, septembre 15, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

As a general rule, I do look at the size of the person I would like to smack, just to make sure that I can run if I have to. But, I'd still support their right to exist whatever size :)

Cause you know, I've done been both sizes! And uh, everything betwixt.

9:54 AM, septembre 16, 2006  
Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

The entire world of fashion is so outside of the realm of logic that unfortunately this does not shock me.

11:55 AM, septembre 17, 2006  
Blogger Kuflax said...

I agree with you that people should be able to tell the difference between presentation and reality. If they got Brad Pitt to hawk a certain shirt, I know that I'll never look that good in the same shirt...

And while I don't know jack about the inner workings of the modeling industry - it seems to me that it would be a very self-policing industry. Agencys go for certain looks for various projects - sometimes they want skinny models, sometimes they want curvy ones. The skinny models don't get to work on the curvy projects - but that's not the same thing as TELLING someone how to be just because they chose to work in the field.

Just because someone CHOSE to work in the modeling industry, that does not ASSURE themselves the right to work. I'd love to work in the football industry, but no pro team will ever hire me as a player. You know why? Cuz I'm not fast enough. That's not discriminatory, that's just the way it is.

There doesn't have to be a law to tell football teams who they can hire, and there shouldn't be laws telling modeling groups who they can and can't use for work. Quite stupid.

3:17 PM, septembre 22, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home