mardi, novembre 07, 2006

Election Morning Musings

I arrived at the polls at 6:45 a.m. After walking in I had a momentary lapse of not knowing which direction to go. The woman behind me followed me. She said, and I quote, “you look like a teacher, you probably know where you’re going”. If I’d had caffeine yet, I’d have had a response.

Something was missing in the auditorium – I didn’t see Mr. Maurice who normally opens the polls. Instead, there was some lady who very unenthusiastically, and hardly called “Hear ye, hear ye” as though it was such a DWEM thing to say.

Fifteen minutes later the same two gentlemen were still working on their registrations.

I took a different route to work this morning, down North Ave. I turned quickly onto 45th street because I was distracted by the huge, old, beautiful duplexes. Then I turned up 44th at Meinecke to drive the same route I used to walk to school. The whole area was almost entirely in ruins. Some of it looked completely uninhabitable. It was never like that when I was walking to school. The only thing that has changed in the area is the attitude and its reflected in the houses. Everything else is exactly the same. It's been less than 20 years. After only a short time I had to stop looking at the houses.

At Starbucks the woman behind me in line sniffed at me as I ordered my drink. I turned to her and said, “I hope my vote cancels yours”.

I hope that Tom Reynolds wins. I would really like to see Audubon-style freeways full of all those people with guns. Mwaaahhhaaaaahhhaaaa.

My best friend and I have almost opposite political opinions although on many important things, we totally agree. I love her dearly and not in a Vote No kinda way :)

And last but not least. When did my polling place change from elderly volunteers to refrigerator-shaped women? Not pear or apple-shaped. Refrigerators.

3 Comments:

Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

I love you too littlehoney!

2:14 PM, novembre 07, 2006  
Blogger Dad29 said...

The war zone continues as you go further east, all the way to 3rd street/King Drive.

Damn, it's sad...

11:37 AM, novembre 10, 2006  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Dad - I have no idea where to start with how sad it makes me. It's our history.... and I can never see it as it originally was outside of pictures...

1:37 PM, novembre 10, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home