lundi, décembre 18, 2006

Darned Bloglines

I have in the past four months become almost exclusively a Bloglines user. I use the blogroll from time to time but I have no idea how to do that thingy where the most recent posts move to the top. So in Bloglines I have to click on the new posts that have photos or other content that won't display in their UI but other than that, I've had few complaints, and it saves me a lot of time.

But like Blogger, Bloglines seems to die on me at the worst times. Lately I've had very little time to blog surf and it's been a good way for me to keep up with the cheddarsphere. Either it doesn't update, updates everything someone's posted for oh, about 34 posts, or it doesn't show the American Mind properly. (Yes Hack, Bloglines seems to have iss-ues with your rss feed!).

So Nick Schweitzer suggested using Newshutch. I couldn't get used to it, something about it didn't click with me. Does anyone have any other readers they really like?

7 Comments:

Blogger Huck said...

I use Feedreader here at the Chronicle which appears to work well. There is only one feed, Musings of a Thoughtful Conservative, which will all the sudden spit out two weeks worth of posts into Feedreader. Unknown cause.

8:12 AM, décembre 18, 2006  
Blogger Nick said...

I've recently abandoned Newshutch for Google Reader. The only thing it doesn't do right now is allow you to see youtube videos inline in the reader. You have to click to see the full post in that person's blog. But thats a bug they're going to fix.

One of the coolest features I've never seen anywhere else is that if there is an mp3 file linked in the blog post (like a podcast from you know who, or news from Patrick), they embed a flash mp3 player in the post automagically for you so you can listen to it right there in Google Reader. Very cool shitz.

It's easy to switch too. All you have to do is go to Bloglines and say you want to export all your subscriptions as an OPML file, and then you can import that OPML into Google Reader.

8:28 AM, décembre 18, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

I have been using google reader as part of my homepage and I love it. I had fought using a reader type program but I have reached the point where there are so many blogs I cannot keep up without the reader.

So short version I vote with nick google reader is the way to go.

9:11 AM, décembre 18, 2006  
Blogger realdebate said...

Never used a reader....

I must get with the 90's

11:58 AM, décembre 18, 2006  
Blogger twhman said...

Try www.spokeo.com It not only works with RSS/Atom feeds, but also social networks. So you can see your friends' photos on MySpace or Flickr or Youtube.

3:50 PM, décembre 18, 2006  
Blogger Kate said...

When I was using blogger, I never could get any of those thingy to work. So, I gave up! :)

9:25 PM, décembre 18, 2006  
Blogger Patrick said...

While I prefer to visit each site, I have tried many RSS readers, and my favorite was the very simple Feed Reader, with Sharp Reader a close second. If you use Firefox, they have a plugin that allows you to run it right from your browser (I think it is called NewsFox). I have never seriously tried any of the on-line readers.

Like I said, I have tried a lot of these readers, but always come back to visiting each site.

11:54 AM, décembre 19, 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home