dimanche, mars 04, 2007

Kitchen Adventures

It's been a long time since I last blogged about what goes on in my kitchen. And for a while, very little went on in my kitchen, but I've been picking up the tempo on cooking again and it's a nice, happy little return.

So the other evening I stopped at a restaurant that I have wanted to try for the past, oh, 12 years: Abu's Jerusalem of the Gold on Farwell. Now I'm a sucker for trying new foods, so this isn't an appeasement move or anything. So I ordered a vegan combo - it's lent after all. Falafel, hummos, baba ghanouj, mediterranean salad, fava beans, and ...tabouleh.

So I open it and among the delicacies that I have, to date, not tried before - I see this very green, green salad. Well, that can't be the tabouleh right? Sho 'nuff, it's tabouleh. Apparently our over-carbed version of it in the states is just that.

Number one: Everything was fantastic

Number two: Well, you can probably predict number two. In fact, I'm sure you were far ahead of me on that one.

Anyhow. Back to the kitchen. Recently I subscribed to www.cooksillustrated.com - this is the group that does the America's Test Kitchen show, and is a true measure of the Cooking Geek. They more geek elements associated with preparing food than you can shake a wooden spoon at. Well they had a very tasty little recipe for tabouleh, which consists of copious amounts of parsely (main ingredient, in fact), some fresh mint, tomato, a little bit of bulgur wheat, onion, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Now this might seem like a harmless or tasteless little treat, but I assure you it's the exact opposite. It's nothing like sitting down to rabbit food. Parsely makes a hearty and filling salad (if you're so inclined, or trying to maintain size). Now, if y'all will excuse me, I think I'm going back for seconds.




(Furthermore, I like my food to be prepared at home with simple, unadulterated ingredients. I hate additives, preservatives, anything soy based or corn anything that isn't corn on the cob. Soy and corn, to me, are political statements or the result of lobbying and should have nothing to do with the magic and joy and the love that comes out of my kitchen and into the stomach!)

Libellés :

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

I LOVE America's Test Kitchen!

4:23 PM, mars 04, 2007  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Aren't they the best??? When I watched last week's segment about the strawberry cream chiffon cake, I know that I was sitting there with my mouth open in awe the entire time.

6:56 PM, mars 04, 2007  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home