lundi, mars 26, 2007

Not Just Scared, F'ing Scared

This afternoon I went skating at the lakefront. I've long said that if something happens to me long before my time, that I should be cremated and my ashes spread out over Lincoln Memorial Drive.

I drove back towards home, realizing I had about 24 on the DTE meter. So I figured on getting my car washed and putting some gas in the tank. Not so fast. My car started, right on the freeway, to choke on me. Downshifting, I pulled into the exit lane for 35th street. It's amazing I had anywhere near enough power to pull into the BP station on 35th.

I got out of my car. Now mind you, I grew up and went to an inner city high school. Being the only white person within miles is not intimidating to me. Never has been. But today as I stepped out of my car, my heart was in my throat. My stomach felt like ice. My normal comfort was not there and I couldn't talk myself out of it. I was very, very very ...f'ing scared. For the first time.

(and if you're an out-of-towner, please Google "Scott Huggins" for context.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Pete Fanning said...

Too bad we don't know each other better....I work downtown and depending on the time of day was right around that area twice during the day today.....I'd have had your back.....glad everything worked out ok....

9:35 PM, mars 26, 2007  
Blogger Nick said...

I don't blame you. The fear of random violence like that is almost worse than anything.

8:49 AM, mars 27, 2007  
Blogger Dad29 said...

So....was your problem a lack of fuel or was it a filthy fuel-filter?

9:22 AM, mars 27, 2007  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

One thing I would like to clarify... my fear was more based on a copycat type of action than any other variables.

And I was of course, damned scared I wouldn't make it to the gas pump. I should really get that fixed...

9:22 AM, mars 27, 2007  
Blogger The Badgerland Conservative said...

Two words .... conceal carry.

11:17 PM, mars 27, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Two more words: peter's right.

8:24 PM, mars 29, 2007  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home