mardi, mai 08, 2007

Besides the fact that I plan to move in the next year, anyhow....

I've thought about this for a long time. I currently live in a duplex and I have great neighbors. The flat is big, and it's very affordable given today's market. My energy costs offset that affordability by an awful lot, as I'm sure it does for most people.

But as energy prices continue to rise, I think that it will be inevitable that I will have to move back to an apartment. Simply because heat will likely be included, and there will be central AC in the summer.

It will be a bittersweet event... I love this place and all its old charms, have loved my neighborhood, and the luxury of not hearing neighbors above or below me. This place also has a garage which floats my boat more than you could know.

The upside...well...having more people around and the opportunity to meet more people will be good. When you're in the midst of all that racket you'll daydream about having a place of your own, but it does change the dynamic of your social skills and your circle. Plus most people my age don't live in apartment buildings.

But... in the long term, I will have more disposable income to either invest, save, take trips, or otherwise defer. It's a hard choice.

The other larger choice... is whether to stay in an area and a state that is rotting. Other parts of the country offer a much higher standard of living than Wisconsin does. Anyone who has traveled knows that. Sure other places bring their own issues, but what is hardest about leaving this city is the very long, slow an painful goodbye that I have been experiencing for the past 20 years, as the city continues to slip into a senile shell of what it once was.

Libellés :

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Wanna buy a house? :)

4:47 PM, mai 08, 2007  
Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Great, I am looking for a single, attractive roommate for this fall... ha. Yeah, I could never be that lucky.

12:10 AM, mai 10, 2007  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home