jeudi, novembre 27, 2008

First Shot.

I'm pooped. Hunting with Brother Jones is hard work. This is not a sit still for long situation. Field drives through tall grasses and scrub and all kinds of stuff. I can't wait to go again Saturday.

We got to our hunting area and parked at about 6:10. We got ready and I spent some time looking at the beautiful nubby doe that was reposing in the back of Brother Jones' van. It was truly a beautiful and enchanting woodland creature. I found myself petting its ears. Deer are amazing.

After going through some trails in the woods we came to the highway to cross. As we got across the road I saw a buck to my left, about 150 yards away. I alerted my brother and nephew. The buck had his nose to the ground and when he saw us, he froze right there in the middle of the road. Brother said to put him in my scope, so I did, and waited for him to get across the road. I had so much adrenaline coursing through my veins at that moment I could hardly breathe.

My nephew took a shot which snapped me out of my deer stupor. At that moment, I decided that I was going to shoot that buck. I shot, and re-chambered to shoot again. Brother Jones shot too.

The buck staggered and we were sure we shot him. He flipped his hindquarters into the air as well but he kept going. And boy did he move.

Unfortunately there was no blood in the field. In a manner of speaking, our buck didn't stop.

Later we caught up with another hunter who saw us shooting at it. The buck went past him and it was about an 8 pointer, 200lb. This hunter hadn't gotten a doe yet, and unfortunately had to let him go. Heartbreaking!

All I could think this morning was that before I thought about taking a shot, I figured the deer was too far away. Then my brother said sight it up and since that moment that I shot at it, I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that I didn't hit it. Nowhere in my mind did I think "I can't kill it". Nope. All I could think about was hitting that buck. 50 less yards and I might have had a chance.

So my point is as follows. Today was the first time I ever even took a shot at a deer. Let alone a nicely sized buck. I'm one shot closer to getting mine.... but it was a really cool first.

6 Comments:

Blogger capper said...

Of course, you realize that road hunting is illegal and dangerous. And gut shotting a deer is just inhumane and unnecessary. So glad you're proud of it.

8:26 PM, novembre 27, 2008  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

50 feet is the law. And we obey the law.

6:48 AM, novembre 28, 2008  
Blogger Dad29 said...

Capper: can you read, or do you need someone to read TO you?

Her post clearly states that they waited until the deer was OFF the road before they shot.

And: WHAT "gut-shot"? Phel & Co. followed the critter, but there was no blood-trail. Are you proposing that 'gut-shot' deer do not bleed?

Get a grip, fella.

8:48 AM, novembre 28, 2008  
Blogger capper said...

@ daddio

I've shot enough critters to know that gut shot animals don't always bleed profusely.

@ Ms. Jones

The rule is, I believe, that the hunter also be 50 feet off the road. Your story indicates that you were not.

9:19 PM, novembre 28, 2008  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Capper, you weren't there. This is a blog post. I'm not going to bog it down with every regulation with every step we took or every step the deer took. If you want to talk with the other hunters who witnessed it, you're plenty welcome to.

9:21 PM, novembre 28, 2008  
Blogger Dad29 said...

gut shotting a deer is just inhumane and unnecessary

I've shot enough critters to know that gut shot animals don't always bleed profusely

What are we to conclude about capper from these two quotes, hmmmmmmmm?

"Profuse" is in the eye of the beholder, Capper, just like "inhumane."

And I've shot enough critters to know that 'staggering' is not necessarily a result of actually getting shot. It's also a reaction to hearing a nearby bullet, or in some cases, to a bullet impacting near their feet.

8:55 AM, novembre 29, 2008  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home