lundi, novembre 24, 2008

Miss Jones Approves: Lefty's Barber Shop, San Diego

Southern California is a hotbed of vintage living and vintage looks. In more than one county, you can find old-school inspired beauty shops and barber shops. This morning I was watching Fox 6 and saw a report about bartering. Yes in some places, bartering is back. That was fine and dandy, but Miss Jones was taken by the imagery, style, and craft of Lefty's Barber Shop in San Diego, featured on this report.

The owner at first glance has the clean-cut barber look of the 50s. Perfect shave and haircut, black slacks, white barber shirt. On second look you find sleeve tattoos, the hallmark of the rockabilly/sick boy. What's that? Google Social Distortion.

I would think that an old-school type of barbershop would be a big hit with men: a full range of classic services and technique, male camaraderie, and shooting the schitt... just like it was when grandpa took you for a haircut. More than the nostalgia, I'd think that the very basic approach would be refreshing. Plus if you'd want to try out a classic look, I'm sure they could help you with that.

There are a lot of people out there in my age group who love the "old ways" of doing things. And I'll attest, we actually do love it. Doing what you love for a living can never be topped. Unless it's a high top, or something like that :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

I miss the days of being able to get a hot lather shave.

6:22 AM, novembre 24, 2008  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

I think Jose's still does? They are next to Tip Top Atomic Shop on KK.

6:47 AM, novembre 24, 2008  
Blogger purview24 said...

Bob the Barber at Marquette's David Straz Hall! Hot lather and massage!

1:59 PM, novembre 24, 2008  
Blogger Steveo said...

Check out Wally and Bill and the ladies at Your Father's Moustache on Forest Home and Grange in Hales Corners. Wally has kind of a barber shop museum going. The conversation is pretty good too. And they do women's do's too.

10:39 AM, novembre 25, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I get my hair cut at Bob's occasionally. They do use hot lather out of a machine, but it is used only to shave the back of your neck, not a full shave. At least I don't think they offer that.

I'm a big fan of traditional safety razor wetshaving. I don't think I'd ever personally go all the way to a straight razor, though.

1:15 PM, novembre 25, 2008  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home