dimanche, novembre 30, 2008

What Santa May Bring Early Next Year.

So far, these are the 12ga's I'm looking at....

#1: The Mossberg 500® PERSUADER®/CRUISER® - 6 SHOT. 18" barrel which is technically petite.

#2: The Mossberg 500® BANTAM™ PUMP-ACTION. Which I am slightly less thrilled about because I can't get it in black stock. So it's heavier. It comes in petite which is why I like it.
#3 The Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic. A little longer than I want with a 26" barrel.

What I would really like, is the Sigarms .30-06 that I shot two years ago at the blogger outing at McMiller's. I haven't been able to get in touch with Chris, who has since closed the Spotted Horse blog. He had the model written on the blog. It was a fabulous gun... extremely precise. Kind of painful but I could hit just about any area on the target within one inch. Pretty good for my first time with the big gun.

For my first hunting gun, I'm probably better off with the shotgun. Plus, I know this gun does not make my butt look fat.

If anyone has any shotgun recommendations let me know. One very important thing for me is to find the gun in a smaller model, but still 12 gauge. I need a barrel length less than 26 inches. As many of my readers know, I can't post during the day, so please don't be offended if I don't reply immediately.

And if you got any deer this weekend, post a link so we can see!

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Saiga-12 shotgun http://www.saiga-12.com/
19" barrel semi-auto built by Izhmash in Russia, imported by Russian American Armory. A AK-47 reciever built around a 12ga 2 3/4" and 3" shells. Will handle magnum rounds. The reciprocating bolt action system eats up some of the recoil vs a pump style gun. Comes with 5 round magazine, but you can get 10 rounders in the states. Comes with rifle style stock, but American parts are available to modify the stock and hand grip. Various chokes available, including a multi-choke extension. Gun show in Appleton area this weekend there is a dealer that has a few roughly $600.
Plus it looks cool as hell. :D

1:08 PM, décembre 01, 2008  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Hi Janir, thanks for your reply! These look really interesting - I've never heard of them. Have you shot one yet?

11:24 PM, décembre 01, 2008  
Blogger The Asian Badger said...

Also, check out Ithica pumps. Very accurate and come in lightweight models. FWIW, the SEALS used them as a weapon of choice so you know they are VERY reliable and well-made.

This might be of interest to you.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html

12:07 AM, décembre 02, 2008  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Those look like nice guns too. I emailed to find out if they make them in petite. Have you shot one?

I guess I should also ask the nice folks if they know someone who has!

Thanks

6:53 AM, décembre 02, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I own one. A 19". Added a skeletonized stock for a pistol grip with out having to redo the trigger group. Added a multi choke and a quick mount side and top rail system with a 2-7 shotgun scope on top. Took it hunting last weekend. Didn't see any deer. :( Put a few holes into a old washing machine however. 3" magnum slugs will leave a mark.

9:28 AM, décembre 02, 2008  
Blogger The Asian Badger said...

Phel...the featherweights should meet your requirments, I would think.

Go to Cabella's or Gander Mountain...they have a huge stock of shotguns and you can see if they have them and see how they fit you.

I've shot them...very nice.

9:54 AM, décembre 02, 2008  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey PJ sorry for the delay getting back to you I have been in the woods

the 30-06 is a SHR970 but the problem is Sig arms does not make it anymore so you would have to hunt down a used I believe.

I will email you the pictures you asked for this week

8:00 AM, décembre 03, 2008  
Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Chris!!!! How the heck are you my friend? So glad to hear from you. Did you get anything while hunting? Would be really happy to catch up with you - look forward to hearing from you soon.

5:22 PM, décembre 03, 2008  
Blogger Jim Zeirke said...

Phel, have you considered an AR-15? I shot my friends 15 at I couldn't believe that it had all of that power and virtually no recoil. Very accurate and you get a scope kit for one, too.

9:36 PM, décembre 03, 2008  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home