dimanche, janvier 04, 2009

What's Your Twitter Policy?

Okay first of all, I think Twitter's kind of lame.  But like other bad habits and car accidents, I can't avert my eyes.  Now and then, someone starts following me on Twitter and when I, out of morbid curiosity, want to know know who they are.... only to find out that their updates are "protected".

First of all, your Twitter updates are not that important.  Nobody's are.  It's you, putting one liners out there for the world to see.  That's not important.  If you think it is, then your priorities need to be straightened out. 

Secondly, wouldn't it be good manners and netiquette to send the person that you want to follow a quick message, stating that they would open their tweets to you if you decided you wanted to follow them as well?

And thirdly, why, why would I care? 

Do you have a Twitter policy?

5 Comments:

Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

Phel - no Twitter policy here, just a few thoughts...

1) Twitter is a way to share things that may not "fit" on your blog, or something you may want to share quickly (think Facebook update for the world to see), with links, searching, and easier finding of older stuff than Facebook.

2) It's a way for folks you don't know to think you're interesting and connect with you.

3) It's a way to be a voyeur into others' lives you may know know, without too much work.

I twitter a little...but I don't find much value in it yet. Maybe one day I will.

Until then, I'm @philgerb on Twitter (http://twitter.com/philgerb).

7:14 PM, janvier 04, 2009  
Blogger Dean said...

I just started so I know it will change, but I just look at them for importance. Since I follow some news sites sometimes I find something I want to blog about. And bloggers. I follow BNN's feed which is how I found this post. Because I use TweetDeck, it notifies me when something has been tweeted. So I get on with other stuff I'm doing on the computer.

Dean

7:53 PM, janvier 04, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

If I see that someone is following me, I check out there twitter page. If I have no idea who they are, I block them.

I like twitter overall, but it's already starting to get infiltrated by spammers.

7:58 PM, janvier 04, 2009  
Blogger Jimi5150 said...

You've likely already noticed, I use it as a mini chat vehicle. Beyond that, it's worthless.

1:19 PM, janvier 05, 2009  
Blogger purview24 said...

Some good points are raised here:

Twitter is constrained, offers less than text messaging, and is otherwise pretty worthless. Yet its popularity can't be denied. Why?

The answer is undoubtedly varied from user to user, but I think that for people who are attracted to any form of social networking, there's an inherit interest in what other people have to say. Sometimes it's insightful, other times absolutely ridiculous. But like you said, Phelony, you just can't look away.

1:40 PM, janvier 05, 2009  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home